Friday, April 24, 2009

On the way to North Carolina

I think I've figured out how to post pictures.  I don't know how to shrink the size down so if you click on the picture, it might be insanely huge on the screen.  Sorry about that.  The following are a few from the drive here.

I thought this was cool.  This was taken in Price Canyon, Utah.
The wind was blowing so hard I just had to take a picture of the kids having fun.  Shannon is in her jammies because shortly after we got on the road after staying with some family in Kaysville, she threw up all over her regular clothes.  After that she was fine.
Not a pretty picture of me, I was talking on the phone with Doug at the time but my hair was getting whipped all over the place.  I don't think I've ever stood in wind that strong.

The wind was blowing so hard that I watched it rip two bikes and a cartop carrier right off the car in front of us.  Thank goodness no one was driving right next to him and I was far enough behind we didn't get hit.  I felt terrible for the family.  I would have stopped to help if I didn't have a car full of kids.  I did not like driving in that.

I wish I had gotten a better picture of this.  There is water just to the right and the road going west seemed like it was almost above us, like the double decker bridges.  This was taken before we got into Vail, Colorado.  It was beautiful driving this.
A view coming into Denver.  I love it, mountains then flat.

We woke up to snow in Denver and this was most of the drive heading towards Kansas.  It cleared up just before we got to the border.  I lost count at 7 cars/semis that had flipped or jackknifed.  (We left Kaysville with it snowing but got out of it just before Price Canyon.  I think the storm followed us to Denver.)
Someone once told me, "There's a pretty girl behind every tree in Kansas."  That was a boring drive.
This was in Kentucky.  I love how the trees were bare but every now and then there would be these patches of purple.

The kids did really great with the drive, I was pleasantly surprised.  I was able to take a young woman from church with me since Doug needed to stay home in case he was sent out to drive for work.  Turns out he could have gone with me.  Oh well.  I was able to get to know Rachael better and after she gets married in August, another reason why we need to be back then, Shannon is going to be her flower girl, her and her new husband plan on coming out here to nanny for my sister.

I'll get some more blogging done next week.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow, what a windy trip! The photos automatically resize to fit the screen. When we click on them, then they pop up to however big they really are (resizing to 800 is a nice size for computer viewing).

That is true. There are probably pretty girls behind every tree in Kansas, but they never show themselves. Hehe. That's not one thing I would ever say about Kansas. I would say the opposite:-).

Cool windy photos!!

Natalie Wagner said...

I never saw a tree in Kansas. At least you we're driving there in the summer. It was miserably hot when we went through there when I was a kid, and we didn't have an air conditioner. Someone told my mom that if you put a block of dry ice in a brown paper bag, and then cracked then windows, it would cool the car off. That did not work and it was making a mess in the car, so at the next gas station, mom threw it in the trash. The steam or whatever you call it from the dry ice started billowing out of the trash can. A ladt freaked out and started yelling "fire!" That's my memory of Kansas.
I'm glad you made it safe. I love Denver too. (It's so wierd that it's on a plateau at 5000ft. It didn't feel like being at altitude to me.) Take care, keep in touch.

Michelle and James said...

I love the windy hair. It is actually a really cool picture. At least you made it through Kansas I hated driving through there in the summers. I'm glad to see you made it safe and sound. I'm glad you blogged I was beginning to think you wouldn't while you were out there. I hope all is well.