Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Bitter Sweet

Doug has now rejoined the land of employment. He got a job working for May Trucking. Last week he went down for orientation and to see if he could pass their drive test. They asked when he would like to start and he told them Monday. They said if he didn't hear from them by 11am Monday morning to call them. He spent a lot of Saturday purchasing things he needed and packing. He ended up having to call them Monday and they told him they weren't able to find a trainer at the moment. He was to then wait until Wednesday afternoon and call in if they hadn't contacted him before then. Late yesterday (Tuesday) morning he gets a call from May saying they've got a trainer coming in later that evening and he needed to call him so they could meet up. Doug left last night around 6pm and was told they had a few stops on Oregon to make then after that it was off to Massachusetts. It was hard on everyone when he left knowing he'll be gone for 2 weeks. I know that's not very long but when you're used to having him home 24/7 for the past six months, two weeks sounds like an eternity. He called me this morning telling me that they were still in Salem! (where May Trucking is located) He said something about his trainer and hours and that they weren't going to the east coast but more likely to Denver. They were going to be heading out this afternoon.

We're not exactly pleased with the long-haul driving but it's what he needs to get the experience and we know with the experience, he'll get a better job. Hopefully something that lets him come home each night. We're hoping he won't have to do long-haul for more than a year.

I'm really thankful I have my parents here and even if they didn't live so close, my ward is wonderful. I'm so greatful for the love and support from all my friends and family. Thank you.

3 comments:

Siouxsie said...

I'm glad Doug was able to find a job even if it's not all you were hoping. Two weeks is a long time to have him gone so you don't have to excuse that. Of course, I'm the huge don't-spend-the-night-away spaz. ;-) Also I LOVE your kitchen walls.

Michelle and James said...

That is so good, at least the job part but I don't blame you for not wanting him to be gone. Its a hard adjustment I'm sure but it will be over before you know it especially keeping up with kids.

Anonymous said...

It would bother me more if you didn't miss him being away. That's just a sign of a sweet passionate love filled life. Besides, you could have some fun with love emails and phone calls. And then there's always the welcome home. Hubba hubby. Whew, thank the Lord for grandparents being close.